Translate

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Leave the Rules Where God Flung 'Em

     My friend Rafif speaks five languages – a talent that snarls and snaps if I come close. Rosetta flings stones when I hablo espanol. Fish babel when I sprechen Deutsch. And there is definitely une liaison dangereuse between brain and tongue when I ask directions in Paris.
     Apparently, I'm meant to be monogamous with English. A passion introduced to me by my father. Each night, when Daddy returned home from his job shuffling papers, he'd sit in his rocker reading a book or doing a bit of writing himself. There was always a yellow tablet and stubby #2 pencil on his TV tray. Daddy loved words, whether they were his or those chosen by someone else.
     A love of the English language isn't all I inherited from Daddy. He taught me rules are meant to be ignored or flung in a bin. At least the silly ones meant to beat you down when you're growing up.
     I learned this every Saturday when Daddy and I worked on the family car. From the time my hands were big enough to pick up a wrench, I was his mechanic's assistant. It never occurred to Daddy his daughter couldn't...and shouldn't...do anything a boy could.
     Daddy teaching me to fix cars doesn't mean he thought I was the short straw. That he wanted a son rather than a daughter. Daddy wanted a daughter and thought I hung the moon. I had dolls and dresses and dance lessons. But I also had model race cars, airplanes, and a football to go with my little-girl makeup and cowgirl outfit.
     To Daddy, I was sugar and spice sauced with piss and vinegar. He didn't tell me to lean in. He told me to stand tall…and never live by anyone else's rules. (300 words) 

No comments:

Post a Comment