Translate

Monday, June 22, 2015

Racism, Warm Brown Eyes, and Divine Intervention


Warning: This post is more than 300 words...
In light of the shootings in Charleston, SC, I want to share this story.

Reprinted from Inside the Light-Hope and Transformation

Freedom from Bigotry Bought For a Penny

(Prejudice)

     The lowly penny. What can this modest coin buy you? When I was three years old, it bought me my freedom from bigotry.
     I grew up in the South in the Fifties. One morning, while at the grocery story with my parents, I inched ahead to watch as customers well in front of us paid for what they wanted to buy. I call where we were a ‘grocery store’ because this was long before the days of giant supermarkets where you place your items on a moving belt and see them whisked away to be scanned by a cashier. And there was certainly no such thing as self-service checkout. Back then grocery stores were intimate places. You knew your cashier, and you chatted with the folks standing around you, even if they were total strangers. Anything anyone said was heard by one and all.
     No moving belt meant that people put what they wanted to take home on a ledge where the cashier could take each item and ring it up. After she finished ringing up the man I had pushed forward to watch, he reached into a pocket to get his money. As he pulled out his folded bills a penny dropped onto the ledge where his food had been. I wanted to help out, so I stretched on my tiptoes and put my finger on the penny to push it closer for him to reach. 
     Suddenly, a big hand grabbed mine, and from behind me I heard, “Don’t touch that! Don’t touch anything a n***** has touched!”
     I froze. I didn’t know what that word meant, but I knew the man attached to the hand that had grabbed mine meant business. As I looked at what I was told was an untouchable penny, the coin took on a sparkling white glow. Then a thin shaft of golden Light shot up from the penny. It happened so fast, and the Light was so bright, that my vision exploded and blurred. The Light seemed to burn right through my eyes, into my brain and down into my body. 
     For a few seconds I stood transfixed, my tiny finger refusing to retract from its position on the penny. Then I looked up at the face of the man the penny belonged to. He looked back. Even a three-year-old knows what hurt looks like.
     The man’s brown eyes had a deep, moist kindness in them, but there was an even deeper look of pain and humiliation. Whatever that word meant I knew it really hurt his feelings. I kept looking straight into his eyes because I didn’t want to look back at the man who’d grabbed my hand. I certainly knew better than to talk back to the stranger, but I thought, “You’re not a very nice man. Didn’t your mother ever teach you not to call people names that hurt their feelings? Someone needs to wash your mouth out with soap!” 
     I hoped the man looking down at me could see how sorry I was the other man had been so mean.
     When I got older, I came to understand what happened that day in the grocery line. I was introduced to bigotry and racism. Mercifully, the “n-word” has become what it should have been in the first place–a word not worthy of being spoken. Despite what some may say, there is nothing about that word that symbolizes freedom of any kind, least of all freedom of speech. To me, a world without that word is a far better place.
     I said at the beginning my freedom from bigotry was bought with a single penny, and that’s true. Throughout my childhood, every time I heard the “n-word” or witnessed any kind of discrimination, I remembered the Light shining up from that penny and the pain in the black man’s eyes. 
     The Light from that modest coin gave me a priceless gift. It relieved me of the burden of fearing and hating another person because of the color of their skin or because they were in any way different from me. It was a moment in the Light and Grace of God that allowed me to see the world differently, and that everyone in it is swaddled inside the same Divine Light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment